Monday, July 14, 2008

Break Through

During art class, we watched a TV special on Georgia O'Keefe. She was so independent that it was refreshing to watch. At one point, she explained that every summer she left her husband and went to the New Mexico. the interviewer asked if her husband Alfred had any problem with that and she said "He had nothing to say about it. It was something I had to do so I did it." Fabulous! She also said that at some point she realized that she was doing paintings for other people based on others' visions of what she should be doing. She said that the paintings weren't exciting to her so why would they be to anyone else? At was at this point, she decided to start painting what was in her head instead of trying please others.

I realized after that show that I was not enthusiastic over my beach painting at all. I was trying to do a realistic painting of the beach but what I actually saw in my head was the beautiful geometry and texture in the photo. So now I am excited and now I am doing an abstract study based on the beach photo! Bravo.