Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Father

Being 6 years younger than my siblings, I lived as an only child for some years with my parents. My father, an executive for a company in NYC, started to watercolor when I was young. During the years just prior to his retirement, he spent a lot of time in his bedroom studio. he had a watercolor table , lateral files for paper and his work, a reference file cabinet, etc. all along one wall of his upstairs bedroom. He would spend hours in the evenings and on weekends, painting. When he retired, watercolor painting became a second life that he loved.

I remembered all of this the other day when I looked at my upstairs bedroom studio. I have my painting/drawing table, small bookcases with supplies, my tabouret, etc. all along one wall. there are times I wish I could share what I have learned with "old stone face". he would love to find out that watercolor paper is typically no longer soaked and stretched; it is simply taped or stapled to artboard! He would love the new quinacridone colors - their clearness of color and their wonderful transparency!

Perhaps he still watches me as I struggle to follow his talented, award winning footsteps!