Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Coal Miner's Spring continues

My fractured thumb has finally gotten good enough for me to begin "Coal Miner's Spring". I began by applying the layers of green in the background and then worked on the large trunk to the left. The next layer was the yellow leaves, followed by dabs of a color called "Linen". Final dabs of lavender and turquoise were then applied to the leaves. The last thing I worked on was the large trunk on the left again.

When I first started this technique, I was not sure if all of the complimentary colors on the base layer would be covered up or if I could successfully visually blend this layer into the layer placed on to of it. I like the results.
In the photo to the left (click to enlarge), you can see some of the base lavender showing through the layers of the leaves.