Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Environmental Thoughts

As I peruse the chemistry text, there are periodic sections devoted to the environment. Over the years, my thoughts have not lined up with the more popular ones, and I am realizing why. I have a chemists point of view, not that of a biologist.

CO2 is required by plants. The fact that the EPA declared it a serious environmental hazard is laughable and the current text that I am reading agrees. In fact they even mention that a significant part of the carbon emissions in the air are due to animal farts. Years go Australia even inoculated their cattle with antibiotics so they would fart less (unfortunately tainting the milk and meat that humans ingest). Instead of reducing our carbon emissions, we need to plant more trees and stop destroying the rain forest. This makes so much more sense.

Matching my thinking, the book does mention the serious hazard sulfuric gases produce in our atmosphere. Sulfur based gases as "naturally" produced by hot springs, and volcanoes but it would be prudent if humans reduced these emissions as much as possible.

Another topic the text touched on is the idea of hydrogen cars. It is a ridiculous idea. H2 released into the air would do far much more harm than CO2 could everdo to the ozone layer. We also do not need more water vapor in the air either; and the tanks required for either liquid or gases H2 is an impossible idea.

I am so completely glad to rad a text that my agrees with my mindset!